Monday, April 20, 2009

can we say cool?


sometimes you get an idea and you know it's going to be super cool. that's what this is a sneak for, something super cool, brought to you by the may studio calico kit, and a little ingenuity from me (some help from hobby lobby and claudine hellmuth too...).

so my best friend in the whole world came to visit me this weekend. she is truly wonderful. we went antiquing on friday because i'm insanely jealous of the cool antiques that steph howell and nicole harper have in their scrap rooms. julie knows me well enough to know if i'll use something, or if i'm just buying it because i think it's pretty. and she's comfortable enough to tell me not to be drawn in by beads and baubles. we've been friends for almost 25 years. she's been through a lot with me. she's awesome. anyway, we found some really cool things, but after further discussion of practicalities, she agreed that i should get the wire baskets for my ribbons (pictures coming soon). and i shouldn't get the very cool soda-can-holder-thingie (i know there's a word for it, just can't think of it right now) because it would need too much retrofitting to be useful in my space. she also agreed that i really didn't need the lime green pillow, even though it was super cute.

we went to lunch amidst the craziest april snowstorm. spicy pickle. yum. then she helped me organize my mess that i call my scrap area (again, pictures coming soon). all this time, i was feeling a bit under the weather. i thought it was allergies. honestly thought that.

saturday, i invited my scrappy friends over to a crop. had i known i was really fighting a virus, i would have cancelled, but instead, i went ahead with my cleverly disguised "let me expose you to my nasty virus" party. it was so much fun. i love my friends. i needed to be creative with them. to my credit, i must add that i DID wash my hands before i made the salad *(see recipe below). and i lysoled the house before they got there.

late that evening, my throat started to hurt mightily. by sunday, i couldn't talk. i took julie to the airport with apologies. today i went to the doctor and he said it's not strep, just a nasty virus. he was impressed at the preventative measures i've been taking all week, thinking all along it was allergies: zinc lozenges, nasal decongestant, tylenol, ibuprofen, claritin, zyrtec, gargling, hot baths, hot tea, chicken broth, humidifier, hot and cold treatment on my throat, cough drops, nasal saline, and vicks. yah, i was serious about taking care of this, whether it be a cold or allergies. apparently it's helped because i'm in much better shape than i could be, my ears and sinuses should be affected too, but it's just my throat. lucky me!

so i've been a little under the weather, not feeling like myself. but i did get the sneak done, so i'm happy. and it's back to my arsenal now. must get some sleep. thank heavens i have the kids that i do, they've been troopers.

*mandarin-berry salad

6 cups torn mixed green
1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/2 cup canned rice noodles (never used these)
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 11-oz can mandarin orange sections, drained
1/4 cup flaked coconut
2 t honey
2 t salad oil
2 t balsamic vinegar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t pepper
2 oz semisoft goat cheese, crumbled (i use feta)

in a large bowl combine greens, strawberries, noodles, green onions, and almonds. For dressing, in a food processor bowl or blender container combine 1/2 cup of the mandarin oranges, the coconut, honey, salad oil, vinegar, salt, ginger, and pepper. Cover and process or blend until combined.

pour dressing over green mixture; toss to coat. Top with remaining mandarin oranges and the goat cheese. Makes 6 servings.

12 comments:

meganklauer said...

Love the sneak! Can't wait to see the rest!

Barb said...

Love your determination to host your crop. Can't wait to see pics of your re-organized space. Love the recipe... off to email it to myself. lol

Mia said...

Love the sneak Em! Can't wait to see the whole thing!

Lauren said...

That salad sounds deLISH and so is that sneak! :)

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear youre not well. hope the arsenal works speedily. looking forward to the emily/claudine/hobbylobby combination :-) - hera

liz mataraza said...

ooh, can't wait to see the rest!

*reyanna* said...

Get better soon, Ninja! And I'm glad you're taking such good care of yourself. :) I miss you!

Houston said...

It's the yummiest salad ever, really it is!

nicole said...

i like this recipe! i have to try it. i found a really good strawberry-spinach salad with goat cheese bruschetta recipe and i've made it twice in two weeks. i envy your antiquing {sp?}, but not your ailments. hope you feel better! ;-)

Julie said...

I had a great time, sickness and all. :)

*Paula* said...

love the decor report - maybe Julie could go shopping with me sometime? :)

Ronda Palazzari said...

I had a great time with you & your scrappy pals. Thank you for including me. Would love to do it again. The salad was really great. Hope you kick the virus out the door!