Wednesday, September 1, 2010

saying goodbye

my sweet nana, nancy jane fraser grua, who was too young to be called a grandma when i showed up on the scene, so from then on out was our nana, left this earthly life yesterday. she passed away with family around her, knowing she was loved. she went to the other side, straight into the waiting arms of her beloved husband, son, mother, and father. my sister told me she passed away while tony bennett was singing "nancy, with the laughing face." that somehow seemed so appropriate. we will miss her, but know she's now pain free and with others she loves and holds dear. her legacy of love and service to so many will live on and be an inspiration for me. she was a pink lady at the hospital in vernal, utah. she volunteered thousands of hours to not just that organization but numerous others. she knew how to give. she did not like having her photo taken, so i thank my sweet husband for capturing this photo two years ago. i love you nana.

If I don't see her each day, I miss her
Oh what a thrill, it is to kiss her
Believe me, I've got a case
On Nancy, with the laughing face

She takes the winter and makes it summer
And summer could take some lessons from her
Picture a tomboy in lace
That's Nancy with the laughing face

Have you ever heard mission bells ringing
Well she'll give you the very same glow
When she speaks you would think it was singing
Just to hear her say hello

I swear to goodness, you can't resist her
Sorry for you, she has no sister!
No angel could replace
Nancy, with the laughing face!

Keep Audrey Hepburn, and keep Liz Taylor
Nancy's the feature, they're just the trailer.
No angel could replace,
My Nancy with the laughing face!

28 comments:

Jenni said...

what a sweet tribute to your grandmother. so sorry for your loss. ((hugs))

ArlaMo said...

Oh Emily. My prayers for your family - it is so hard to be the ones left behind by a loved one so dear. May the memories and stories of your Nana give you comfort and peace.

kL said...

sending all of my love em. xoxo

Lisa Pace said...

Hugs Emily. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mary Kay said...

Oh, Em, I'm so sorry. What a sweet memory, that song.

(Word veri is "miste," which I am after reading your post.)

Amanda said...

Hugs to you, Emily! Your nana sounds like a fabulous person...so glad you had her in your life as long as you did. She was obviously a wonderful influence. Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Em. I am so very sorry. I remember what a comfort you were to me when I lost my grandmother almost exactly a year ago. My heart is aching for you right now, my sweet friend. Please know you are in my thoughts and my prayers. And PLEASE let me know if I can do anything to help. (((hugs))) and lots of love are being sent your way. God Bless.

arleigh said...

sorry, em. hang in there.

Ginny said...

Emily, I am so sorry. Your grandmother must have been a lovely person. There is something very tragic about losing a grandma - they love us unconditionally. My grandma passed away almost 25 years ago & I still think of her everyday.

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

I am sorry to hear this Emily. If there aren't many photos of your Nana, this one that you shared with us seems to show a quiet, graceful, warm, accepting person. It's a beautiful photo of what had to be an awesome woman, from your description. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry for your loss of Nana. Sending prayers up for you and your family.

Sarah said...

Oh, Emily, I'm so sorry! She sounds like a beautiful lady- I know her spirit will live on through you. Big hugs and many prayers to you and your family!

Natasja Cats - Verbeek said...

so sure she lost the fight Em. Sending you a big hug.
xo

Barb said...

I'm so sad for your loss, Emily. Your grandmother sounds like a self-less person who was full of life and zest.

justem said...

Sending all my thoughts your way. I'm so sorry.

marnie said...

honeypie, i am so sorry and sad for you. i know how you loved her. my heart is with you.

claudia shadler said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Emily, my thoughts goes out your way. I am sure she was a wonderful grandma :)

Hugs,
C

*Paula* said...

hugs Emxx

alexandra s.m. said...

Sending you heartfelt hugs ~

Monica McNeill said...

Emily I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending prayers & hugs your way.

Sasha Farina said...

*hugs* she's watching over you mle..

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry!!

Keshet said...

I'm so, so sorry Emily.

beth said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thinking and praying for you...

lisa truesdell said...

sending lots of love, emily, to you and yours. i'm so sorry for your loss. =(

Julie said...

That is a bummer, but I am sure she is still smiling :)

Caryl Hope said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Emily. Sending you lots of love.

Hugs,
Caryl

newscrapper said...

Sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you. {{{HUG}}}